Monday, June 27, 2011

Faithful Servant















We had our last Sunday training this past weekend. It was our last... because... we.... are.... LEAVING... FOR.... INDIA... IN.... A... WEEK!!!!! *breatheeee*

This week's training was really special. Richard Yoon, GLMC's very own missions coordinator, shared about the importance of post-missions and our roles in blessing and encouraging the senders when we get back.  Nate shared a short devotional about storing up treasures in heaven, having a Christ-centered perspective and living counter-culturally, as difficult as that may be.  Then we had a time of sharing.  We went around (and around, and around) in a circle and shared about how a specific member of the team has encouraged us.  It was such an amazing and refreshing time and even though we weren't able to get to some of the logistical prep stuff (we ran out of time), I believe God was glorified as we strove to love one another.























I absolutely cannot believe how quickly it has come and I'm reminded of 2 Timothy 4:7 when Paul proclaims, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith".  Of course the race is only beginning (haha) but the training journey has also been a great race in my mind.  It's been like a mini-race.. or.. ooh~ the semi-finals!!! The more I think about it, the more our trainings have really been a "good fight".  It has been a time in which we had to persevere, be uncomfortable, be broken, humbled, molded and tested.  However, it has equally been a time of great growth in faith and reliance on the Lord.  God loves us and provides for us and He has been SO faithful in showing that to our team.
















In India, when you greet someone, instead of saying, "hello, hi, what's up," you greet by saying, "faithful servant", "obedient servant" or "useful servant", etc, etc. Our past training sessions have helped me consider what that means.  It has helped me try to conform to those titles and roles.  I was reminded each week as we trained hard that we are going to India for a purpose greater than ourselves.  We are going to India to be servants-- casting away our own selfish desires and needs.  We are going in the name of Jesus Christ to proclaim the good news.  Man, I am... so humbled and amazed that God includes us in His great plan.  What a privilege it is to serve.

When I went on my first missions trip back in undergrad, I met a missionary who explained that many people have it wrong.  He said that whenever he talks to people, they ooh and ah about how amazing he is and how much he sacrifices and how difficult it must be for him.  But he said that being a missionary, going on missions and serving God, is a great blessing and privilege.  He said that he feels honored and thanks God every day that He's chosen to use him for His purpose.  I still remember that brief conversation and all of those words spoken to me.  I think it stays ingrained in my mind especially because I know that this is true.

So as we countdown the days to departure, even though I am overwhelmed with anxiety, doubt, frustrations and fears, I remember how privileged and lucky I am to be a part of His great commission and plan.

Sincerely,
Faithful Servant

No comments:

Post a Comment