Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Kerala Update

Monday, July 18, 2011, 9:34pm
Thiruvalla, Kerala

Joann and I arrived safely in Kerala this afternoon.  Our train was delayed about an hour but CV’s right-hand man, Abraham, along with CV’s son, Justin, was faithfully waiting for our arrival. 

Green.  That’s the one word I would use to describe this place.  With every curve of the road, I felt like I was entering a secret garden—so lush and fantastic.  Yes, fantastic.  So green it’s surreal.  It only got better as we entered into the driveway.  Our own private resort—except instead of relaxing, we are purposefully doing God’s work.  And by work, I mean work.

School for the disabled children starts early and doesn’t end until around 5pm.  Exhaustion sets in early because of the high level of energy and interaction (plus the heat and humidity).  I have no idea how these teachers do it.  But it inspires me—I’m sure there will be times I feel like giving up, but I remember that God created each and every one of these children and HE has called me to minister to these children.  They were created with special needs and a poster here reminds me that we can “create possibilities for those with disabilities”.  Amen.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, July 19, 2011, 10:55pm

The rain here comes suddenly and disappears as suddenly as it falls.  Each time the drops fall, I am reminded of God’s promises to HIS creation.  I am reminded of God’s grace and mercy.  Thank you Lord for the rain.

This morning, Joann and I meditated on Numbers 2:31: They shall set out last, standard by standard.  The Danites position in the army was at the rear.  Spurgeon writes that “even though last and least”, the rear guard is needed.  Many of the “slowly moving children” need help so we must “work on and take [our] assigned place at the rear… my soul, watch tenderly to help the stragglers today”.

Tonight, we meditated on Matthew 12:20: A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not quench.  “Some of God’s children are made strong to do mighty works for Him; God has His Samsons here and there… but the majority of His people are a little fearful flock… Yet, weak as they are, and because they are so weak, they have this promise made especially to them.  Herein is grace and graciousness! Herein is love and loving-kindness!”  God gently reminds us that Jesus has shown us compassion and grace and challenges us to do the same.

We needed these exhortations because we’ve been a little discouraged.  It’s difficult here.  The school is difficult.  The kids are difficult.  Our purpose was so clear back in Bangalore and each day felt SO purpose-driven… but it’s been difficult to remember our purpose here.  Still, we are learning discipline in abiding.  Please pray that Joann and I will reflect Christ to these children and be an encouragement to the staff and teachers here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Present: 
PR and KCM team are in Kerala!!! We are waiting for them to get here soon and will be having dinner with them~ so excited! Hubert, Jeff, Amy and Nate are now safely in America and hopefully sharing their testimonies with you all.  I will hopefully go back and insert photos later.  No time!  "Very, very nice!"

2 comments:

  1. thank you so much for the update!! i am praying for you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, I miss you guys. I'm glad to hear you're still doing morning and evening devots. I am praying for you guys. I am also missing the purposefulness in Bangalore and surrounding...do keep us in prayer as well~ the temptations to return to the old life are so great. love you guys so much. be strong in the Lord...not by might, not by power, but by the Spirit of God!!!

    ReplyDelete